Monday, January 17, 2011

Coming to your Senses: Old Fashioned Olfaction

There's nothing like a good ol' whiff. Am I right? And that's why we talked about smelling in class. We studied the different effects of not being able to smell on taste. We also took a whiff down memory lane with some smell samples. You may wonder why we would be so thorough with a topic like smell, but it just makes scents.
For one experiment, we plugged our noses and tried different jams and jellies and such. There was grape and strawberry and mango and there was also applesauce, which was not a jam/jelly. I was blindfolded and noseblinded. I ate a spoonful of each and after I had guessed I had misplaced all of them (except for the applesauce, but I could feel the different consistency of the food.) The same happened with both of my partners, including the applesauce phenomenon (a great name for a band).
We also tried to confuse our senses by blindly eating one flavor of chip while vigorously smelling another chip of a different flavor. I had no problem telling apart which chip I was eating and which I was smelling. Granted, there was not much variety, but I still think anybody could have gotten this right. My partners weren't fooled either.
Stereotypical Vamp-bag
But what of the effects of garlic and desensitization? I loves me some garlic, but does it lose its kick after eating it enough. I seemed to think so, but very mildly. I ate garlic chips with garlic hummus, and later when I came back to it the garlic seemed less present in both. I was a little disappointed in that, but I still enjoyed it very much. Garlic used to be a panacea back in the day, and it's still known to be quite healthy for you. Plus it keeps vamps away. We don't want those spooking us, now do we?
Lastly, we sampled lots of different aromas from a jar. I was struck when I smelled certain flowers like rose. It brought me back to a simpler time. It reminded me of my mom cooking stuff and living in a different house. Or others would remind me of playing with rubber dinosaur toys from when I was little. They say scent is the strongest sense tied to memory. I believe it. I was tripping. One smelled like the tires from a mechanic garage. Another smelled like maraschino cherries. The smells were very distinkty. The whole experience was simply amazing. Try smelling a whole bunch of unique smells some day. You'll know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment